Dental Photo Dynamic Disinfection (PDD)
For disinfection, the laser is used in combination with special drugs, for the so called Photo Dynamic Therapy (PDT) or in this case Photo Dynamic Disinfection (PDD). The PDT became available for use in both caries and infections of the soft tissue, endodontics.
PRINCIPLE OF FUNCTION:
- The photosensitizer molecules attach to the membrane of the bacteria.
- Irradiation with light at a specific wavelength matched to the peak absorption of the photosensitizer leads to the production of singlet oxygen, which causes the bacterial cell wall to rupture, killing the bacteria.
This PDT system has been evaluated in the laboratory and destruction rate of bacterial is in the order of 109, achieved under conditions comparable to those found clinically. PDT will destroy common bacteria associated with endodontic infections such as:
- Fusobacterium nucleatum
- Prevotella intermedi
- Streptococcus intermedius
- Peptostreptococcus micros
- Enterococcus faecalis which is regarded as one of the contaminants associated with canals which have recurrent infections.
Apply the photosensitizer (Gel) and insert the universal laser tip into the centre of the cavity, directly on the surface.
Apply the photosensitizer (Fluid) and inserting the endo laser tip into the centre of the root channel.
Apply the photosensitizer (Fluid) and insert the universal/endo laser tip into the centre of the pocket.
Remove the mucosa around the implant (micro surgery) and clean the wound.
Apply the photosensitizer (Fluid) internal and external, let it take effect for 60 seconds and irradiate with laser (endo tip) 150 seconds.
RJ LASER PEN with dental fibre for PDD
Endo tip (e.g. for root channel) and universal tip (e.g. for caries)